Sunday, November 30, 2008

some Tidings of comfort

This morning I am resting at home, wrapped in blankets, cradling a warm cup of coffee, and listening to the morning service at First Pres. Oh, how I appreciate internet access to our warm church family during my recovery. Hearing Dr. Ferguson humorous deliver the children's message comforts me. Hearing the choir sing the wonderful Gabriel's Message, comforts me, too. (this is a great link if you enjoy fine choral music).

I have felt very lonely this week. If anyone is still reading my all-over-the-place blog, you'll know I've had some rough days. I have new compassion for the home bound, the elderly, the truly alone. I'm grateful for that.

After sleeping in a recliner for three nights I am breathing a bit better. I've also practiced breathing through my Airlife spirometer. Last week,I could inhale about 2250, then it dropped to below 500 this week. That's how little oxygen I received! Thankfully, I improved to 750 yesterday.

My children have been very patient with me. My older daughter, full of compassion, rubs my arm, instructs me with big eyes, "Mama, it's okay, you'll feel better soon." Then a few hours later, "Mama, I know you can't really read yet, but can I sit in your lap with my book?"...and then she climbs into my lap with about 8 books, 2 baby dolls, and a snack.

My younger daughter still tugs on my shirt indicating she wants to nurse. I tell her we can't, she sighs, gives me a tiny hug, and scampers along. Later, she brings me a book to "read" with her, her latest crayon creation rumpled in the fingers.

Scenes of everyday family life comfort me. The sage old saying: "Do ye the next thynge" is still apt. When there is nothing to do, do the next thing.

For me, that meant finishing the hem on some dresses I had sewn for my daughters. Here is the dress on my new bed. It's the first time I sewed piping & a ruffle. Sweet sister dresses in French blue corduroy with a pretty contrasting lining.


My second improvement has been managing my pain. I decreased my Dilaudid over the few days, kinda saving it for when it got really bad, and thankfully many of the narcotic side effects have disappeared.
  • not as edgy, can concentrate
  • appetite is returning slowly
  • GI track is normalizing
  • all over itchiness is gone
  • no more nightmares...these were really wreaking havoc w/sleep
Still do experience the following side effects of surgery:
  • constant low grade fever chills
  • throbbing pain & spiked stabs of pain in my chin
  • swelling under my nose is worse due to the Lefort I
  • stitches in upper jaw itch constantly
  • numbness - nose, cheekbones, half of chin, roof of mouth, all upper teeth

Pain meds now consist of Motrin/Ibuprofen 800mg every 8 hours, plus 400mg Tylenol as needed. I have about 3 doses of Dilaudid left before my OS appt tomorrow. These are for tonight.

My splendid spouse turned our gas fireplace on last night. Ah, I waited 2 years for that moment! It was SO nice to sit somewhere other than my bedroom. He picked up some Pho soup at my request. I blended the meat for extra protien. What a pleasant change from chocolate Muscle Milk sh kes. He put the children to bed, and we chatted just like old times in front of the fireplace before he departed to put in a few hours of work at his office.

In ways both big and small I am encouraged.

3 comments:

Gigi said...

Your swelling has improved so much! Hope every day is better and brighter. Your little girls are so precious- you'll soon be back to normal and being a full time mom again.
Hope you rest well tonight!

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I have been following your surgery as I am in the process of deciding to go for it or not. From what I understand from my research ... you have made it through the worse part ! and it can only get better from here :)

I have an overbite/malloclusion and slight vertical excess (gummy smile). I've consulted 2 surgeons and still CANNOT decide. I'm hoping your story will help me make my decision.

Katherine said...

Thanks for y'alls comments. Full recovery will take another couple of months, but today I can honestly say I've "made it around the bend".

But I don't ever want to repeat last week. Noooo way. By far, that was the hardest thing I have ever done!


Yesterday, my surgeons told me I could talk. Yippee! Being intentionally quiet for 10 days was undescribable. That alone may be reponsible for my improved mood. Another night of sleep, without waking for pain meds, helped ,too.:)

Anonymous, I began writing a response, but it was too long, so look for it in an upcoming post. :)