Friday, November 14, 2008

a reverse diet

This week I can eat whatever but drink nothing. Next week, I'll be able to drink and eat nothing. SO Ironic. To prepare for my next round of bloodwork, my doctor has encouraged me to dehydrate my body. Uh-huh. Can you imagine my expression when I was told to avoid drinking anything or eating anything that is comprised of a lot of liquid, " for two days? It isn't that bad, though, now that day 1 has passed I am really thirsty. We had a lovely day of heavy thunderstorms, so unusual for November. All I wanted to do was sip a cuppa of joe (or maybe 5 cups!) and read. Instead, I added an extra gym class today to dehydrate. :)
My aim of course is to raise my iron levels past that 12.0 mark. The current plan is to test tomorrow evening at my local hospital. Monday I have the second pre-op and blood work appointment with my OS in Charleston.


Hope to have more good news to report.

*Ferritin - this was the additional test ordered with my last round of blood work. It measures the iron stored in tissues, I think. It came back positive.

3 comments:

laura said...

What? Isn't that a trick to fool the test? Perhaps the hospital won't let him go ahead with it unless you test at a certain level but he knows you're okay with the level you have now?

Katherine (Kate) said...

Okay this is truely a first...have never heard of anything like this before! Holy snikes thats..um...different...

How did the test go? How is it treated diagnosticly by your OS? Does that send other levels crazy in the traditional blood tests? (salts, sugars, etc ) I only ask as I'm clueless :)

Katherine said...

It IS a trick...but it worked! Personally, I was fine having the surgery with a hemoglobin level of 11.5, and totally willing to sign a waiver for a needed transfusion if necessary. Hopefully, my blood work tomorrow will also be good.
My test today only measured basic anemia stuff...it didn't have the full CBC results, so I am uncertain about sugars and such. I did avoid almost all salt during my dry spell since it would only make me thirstier. Ditto for alcohol. I did eat lots of pumpkin bread and dry cereal...so maybe my sugars are spiked?