Friday, October 31, 2008

blood work shows some improvement

I had blood work taken yesterday. My anemia is improving. Yeah!

The new hemoglobin level is 11.7...yep, basically a 0.1 movement/week of treatment. It has room to improve, but my general physician is pleased. He consulted a hematologist colleague to discuss the results. She was very pleased, indeed, she was surprised to learn my surgery had been postponed for a hemoglobin level of 11.5. The normal range is (11.1-15.8).

Per her advice, my doctor ordered an additional test (that i cannot remember). Results should be back later today. My doctor will then call the oral surgerons with the update.

What pleased me most was learning how healthy my blood is. Measurements of Iron, Folate, B12, glucose, and TSH were all excellent. I was especially interested in my iron and folate levels after nursing two babies.

In other exciting dental news, I visited my ortho this week. This visit was particularly positive!
  • examined latest molds...I think this makes the 8th set taken in 10 months?
  • power chain on lowers, working to close gap in front and gap b/w back right molars
  • new steel wire on lowers (after the previous one was cut)
  • wire crimp to bump up my left canine...turns out the tooth sits a bit low...it's not the jaw plane that's unlevel
  • complimented my OD for his well trained eye

Basically, we're making big changes for 1 week, then my mouth has to be stabilized (again!) for the OS to take final molds on 11/10. At one point I yelped at all the movements, the staff asked me if I was okay. I muttered something like, "Well, yes, I've delivered two babies, but, phew!" Poor 13 year old boy in the chair beside me. Sorry.

5 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

Awesome that things are moving in the right direction. It's got to put your mind at ease that this will actually happen. Also great that the rest of your blood is so healthy! I think more people are low in folate & B12 than they could ever know.

8 sets of molds?? Oy, you must taste that stuff in your sleep!

As for the young lad in the chair beside you....hahaha~ good to keep the young wipper-snappers on their toes ;)

Katherine said...

Thanks, Katherine! Funny, except for the choking experience at my first pre-op appt, I don't really mind the molds.

The blood work cheered me up. After buying good quality eggs, milk and meat for a few years, it's satisfying to have proof of improved health. My next health kick is to rid our house of MSG-laden products. This has been surprisingly hard to eradicate, hidden and all. Do you have any advice there?

Katherine (Kate) said...

Oy, msg is a biggie...and feels like it's in EVERYTHING, grrr. Advice? I can't think of anything beyond what I'm sure you're already finding: read every label till you're cross-eyed :) I'd look into the stuff you use the most often (what mom doesn't have a staple arsenal of go-to meals!) and find a replacement or alternative for those things first.

The more you can make things yourself, from scratch, the better *shrug* It's not easy to keep up, that's for sure. I'll do really well for a month, then get lazy for a bit, then back on the bandwagon. :)

Sorry, I'm sure it's nothing you don't already do. If YOU find any tricks, let me know!!

How did the additional blood test results play out?

Katherine (Kate) said...

Ps. LOVE the new background on your blog!!!

Katherine (Kate) said...

Yes, I'm stalking you :)

Is all still a go for the 20th?