Saturday, November 29, 2008

my iron lung

I remain in the "wincing and weeping" stage for another few days I am afraid. My current hurdle is trying to breathe deeply. After listening to my growing list of physical ailments, my husband ordered some blood work to be drawn. The results from last evening's trip to the hospital came back positive, that is, there were no obvious signs of infection. They did not, however, reveal what is causing me such pain.

I suspect it is muscular, from how difficult it is to find a sleeping position. If anyone reading this would share how they handled their post-op sleep, I would be much obliged. If I move my head much out of center, my ear aches terribly, but it feels like my neck is begin pulled somehow.

Goodness, I am a mess!

As best as I can describe it, I am wearing an iron lung that prevents my from breathing anything other than the smallest of breaths. Pleghm drips onto my esosophelgus-whatever, and then I can't cough. Any breathing causes my chest to constrict into muscle spasms.

Should I see a chiropractor? Do I need a muscle relaxer? I know I need help. My next visit wit the OS ins't until Monday at 1 pm.

Thanks y'all.

5 comments:

L3 said...

Katherine-

How is the pain today? Chiropractor, eh? Did I ever tell you about the time I went to see a Chiropractor and they did some acupuncture. Unfortunately, I could not take a deep breath for the entire 20 mins the needles were in my back. So, perhaps you are experience a similar sensation. Not fun by any means! Keeps us updated! Love you all.

Your brother

Brenda said...

Hey sweetie; sorry to hear you're in so much pain still. Gonna be the nurse for a moment... did you take your Incentive Spirometer home with you, and if you did, are you using it? That will help with the deep breathing...

Also, I'm trying to remember what position was comfy for me 16 years ago after mine, and I think it was laying on my back with several pillows behind my back and head as well as making myself move my head around as much as possible to avoid stiffness. That was about all that was helpful.

If it doesn't get any better, call the doc.

Katherine said...

Thank you both for your encouragement! Brenda, I just read your comment the moment after I pusblished my last post. After some prodding by Bruce I used the spirometer. It really does work! Also, I tried very hard yesterday not to say anything until dinner time, just kinda sat still, breathed quietly, and rested.

Thank you again for the encouragement. It means a lot to me!

Million Dollar $mile said...

Hi Katherine! I still have ear aches too 5 weeks after surgery. It seems the entire head and neck area is affected by this surgery. It should consistently improve. Also, with the chest spasms - I've never heard anyone else mention this, but I had something similar. Ever since surgery I will randomly get a painful squeezing/spasm feeling in my chest (seems like my heart) and it goes up to the middle of my throat. I mentioned it to the orhto and he didn't seem alarmed. I think its caused by the breathing tube during surgery (which is why all the yellowing in the chest area too). You're looking good. Hang in there!

slyn said...

Katherine,

I am scheduled to have surgery on Tues and am really scrambling to find info. I am so glad to have found your blog, I too am a mother of three and wondering how I am going to manage after surgery. I have found a few other blogs by mothers, but they don't really talk about their kids. I am trying to figure out how long I will need help. My youngest is 11 mo old. Were you able to care for your kids right after surgery? It seems like you were back at it after a week. I know everyone reacts differently to surgery/narcotics/etc, but do you have any advice for me?? You can email me at: stephivey at gmail dot com.