Wednesday, November 19, 2008

the lugs are on

I wish I had kissed my husband more last night. I didn't realize just how strange these surgical lugs would feel.
Today's appointment with my OD was good. The entire staff was fabulous. Inquisitive, thoughtful, gentle, patient, encouraging. Lots of well wishes were exchanged. Though I was very apprehensive on Monday and Tuesday, I feel more excited today. It must be that fight-flight adrenaline rush I'm feeling....that and being covered in prayer by my dear friends & family.
This adjustment was THE most painful experience I can remember. Getting the lower wire in brought tears to my ears for several minutes. Why isn't torque a 4-letter word? See, we had to cut the wires out b/c of the crimps. The new wire is straight and this has to be hooked to my teeth before new crimps could be added. My mascara trail was more dramatic than I would have liked but what can you do except cry at a moment like that? The staff handled my pain well. Four people and 800 mg Advil later my mouth felt better.
I muttered that if I ever feel like not wearing my retainer in the future, I will remember this moment. Seriously.

Here are my teeth today before any changes were made. Crimps are visible (and coffee stains, too!)
Here is a picture of my naked teeth right before new steel wires & lugs were added.
Here is me grinning in the sunlight, cold air rushing through the lugs. 31 looks chic doesn't it? I have hundreds of thoughts to journal, but most of them don't belong on my blog. :) If I have time, I'll try to post some of them. Right now, my energy needs to go to laundry and household tasks before we leave town tonight.

Two bright spots to share.
First, my father called last night to wish me well. He's traveling for business through Asia, so when we saw his call from Taiwan we grabbed it quickly. Thanks Daddy for praying for me. You can never hear someone loves you too often! Second, I have dinner reservations tonight at the romantic restaurant where my husband and I had out first date. B, do you remember how I kept dropping my napkin so I could accidentally move my chair closer to yours?

Well, my husband will not likely post while I'm at the hospital. I should be back online in a week or so. Surgery tomorrow should take about 5.5 -6 hours. It is so strange to be in this moment.

Dr. Ferguson has recently framed his sermons in this context: what is God doing with you, right here, at this time, and in this place? For now, I can answer that He is keeping me under His banner.

And in that day there shall be a Root of Jesse,
Who shall stand as a banner to the people,
For the Gentiles shall seek Him,
and His resting place shall be glorious. - Isaiah 11:10









8 comments:

holski said...

Yaaay! I'm so excited for you. =) I will be thinking of you tomorrow and I look forward to hearing everything.Y ou're going to do great... you're so prepared! =)

Aimee said...

Good luck tomorrow, Katherine! I'll be thinking of you!

Jen said...

Send good vibes!

Katherine (Kate) said...

Guess what? You don't have to wait anymore! No more planning, cleaning organizing, worrying (well, maybe that one a little off and on :) ), but You're in that moment now!

I hope your special dinner was absolutely lovely ~ What a wonderful memory. Should shove the wire changing appointment RIGHT out of your head :).You really are blessed to have so much love and support around you.

You'll be at the hospital now but I wanted to add my best wishes for a smooth operation and recovery and will look forward to hearing that all went well when you are home and able. *hug*

ps.Don't know why, but reading your post all I could think of is Ps. 46:10. "Be still...."

stephanie said...

Thinking about you. Hope everything went well!

Katherine said...

Ladies thank you for your kind notes! I have an anddendum to share regarding my date on Wednesday. At the end of the meal, our waiter came over and said, "Caroline, Dr. B (my orthodontist) called and told us about your appt today. He said he was sorry & he wanted y'all to know tonight's dinner was on him".

Isn't that the coolest? Also, being called Caroline was sweet, too, because it seemed such an elegant name for my awkward metal portrait.

Katherine, you are right on. We ARE blessed surrounded by all this love.

Katherine (Kate) said...

That is an absolutely WONDERFUL suprise to receive on your special night! Hands down, best ortho story to date. Thanks for sharing it :)

Jenna Schrock said...

You definitely did well. You probably have a beautiful set of teeth by now. You seem to smile a lot, and now you can smile and share the love even more! Good vibes, good vibes.

"B, do you remember how I kept dropping my napkin so I could accidentally move my chair closer to yours?" - THE MOVES!