Wednesday, December 3, 2008

coming out of the dark

Each day continues to feel a bit better!

I'm still experiencing some pain and mild depression - though there are moments where I feel the old me has returned. Since my OS encouraged me to talk at Monday's appointment, I've been trying to talk more, to stretch out my waxy-feeling facial muscles, but of course, it increases swelling and sucks all my energy.

Thank you to my friends for emailing, calling and loving on me. It makes a difference. :)

The Darker Side Effects of Dilaudid

Today, I finally investigated the side effects of the pain reliever I was taking. Since I couldn't swallow very well, and vomited several other pain meds in the hospital, Dilaudid's 2-4 mL doses worked well for me. I am grateful for the pain relief the drug provided, but goodness, it seems I was sensitive to the drug in almost every category! I'm so glad that I am not still taking this powerful drug every 3 hours.

For anyone researching jaw surgery and such, here is a copy/paste of the side effects. I've italicized the ones that effected me. Also, I checked out withdrawal symptoms, and BAM - there were other symptoms I'm experiencing.

I am glad I am not really going crazy!

"The major hazards of DILAUDID-HP include respiratory depression and apnea. To a lesser degree, circulatory depression, respiratory arrest, shock and cardiac arrest have occurred.

Dilaudid is an analgesic narcotic with an addiction liability similar to that of morphine. It is apparent within 15 minutes and remains in effect for more than 5 hours. Dilaudid is approximately 8 times more potent on a milligram basis than morphine. Often called "drug store heroin" on the streets. Dilaudid inhibits ascending pain pathways in Central Nervous System. It also increases the pain threshold and alters pain perception....of course, the pain alteration is why this was so helpful during those early days. :)

The most frequently observed adverse effects are
lightheadedness, dizziness, sedation, nausea, vomiting, sweating, flushing, dysphoria, euphoria, dry mouth, and pruritus. These effects seem to be more prominent in ambulatory patients and in those not experiencing severe pain.

Less Frequently Observed Adverse Reactions:
General and
CNS:, Weakness, headache, agitation, tremor, uncoordinated muscle movements, alterations of mood (nervousness, apprehension, depression, floating feelings, dreams), muscle rigidity, paresthesia, muscle tremor, blurred vision, nystagmus, diplopia and miosis, transient hallucinations and disorientation, visual disturbances, insomnia, increased intracranial pressure

Cardiovascular: Flushing of the face, chills,
tachycardia, bradycardia, palpitation, faintness, syncope, hypotension, hypertension

Respiratory: Bronchospasm and laryngospasm

Gastrointestinal:
Constipation, biliary tract spasm, ileus, anorexia, diarrhea, cramps taste alterations

Genitourinary:
Urinary retention or hesitancy, antidiuretic effects

Dermatologic:
Urticaria, other skin rashes, wheal and flare over the vein with intravenous injection, diaphoresis"
--from web.md

Here are the possible withdrawal symptoms:

Withdrawal symptoms from Dilaudid can occur four to five hours after the last dose. dilaudid withdrawal symptoms usually last 7 to 10 days. Ah ha! Users may respond to the pain of dilaudid withdrawal by taking another dose without realizing they have become addicted. Dilaudid Withdrawal symptoms include but are not limited to:
severe anxiety , insomnia, profuse sweating, muscle spasms, chills, shivering, tremors, restlessness, yawning, gooseflesh, restless sleep, irritability, anxiety, weakness, twitching and spasms of muscles, kicking movements
severe backache, abdominal and leg pains, abdominal and muscle cramps, hot and cold flashes, nausea
anorexia , vomiting, intestinal spasm, diarrhea, repetitive sneezing, increase in body temperature, blood pressure, respiratory rate, and heart rate

3 comments:

Allison said...

Oh, Katherine! The side effects and withdrawal of that drug sound HORRIBLE! I am so sorry you are having to go through this! IT will be worth it in the long run. But, atleast you know now what has been causing you to feel this way.

I can't wait to see you and give you a big hug!
Love,
Allison

Stephanie said...

Hang in there! Every day will get better! I had a really bad time with my sleep schedule after I went off my narcotics. I was on percoset and fentanyl, and I couldn't sleep past 5:30 am once I went off them, and I woke up every hour during the night. That lasted about a week and then things started to go back to normal. It seems so crazy that I only was on the percoset less than a week, and 9 days on the fentanyl, and I still went through withdrawl. Pretty potent stuff, but at least it helps us get through the first week or two. Hoping you'll feel better soon!

Kerry O'Brien Wilson said...

So good to talk to you last night. Thanks for taking the time to call. I'm glad that you have made so much progress so far, and know that the end of the tunnel is in sight! Keep working on those beautiful dress creations :)