Sunday, December 7, 2008

how my young children are reacting...

Hi Katherine, you asked about my children. Overall, they are taking it in stride. It took my youngest (18 mos) about 4 days to come around. She is a sensitive, quiet child. We bonded one afternoon when we spent about 5 hours together, just us two, and said very little. For my old chatty self, this was different and beautiful. I need to remember this when she grows older! My older daughter (3yrs) spells love with time and activity. She doesn't mind my new look but is impatient with my lack of energy, apathy and sometime tears. Since my return from the hospital, she's grown concerned I'll disappear again anytime I have a doctor's appointment. She's not yet aware that this is just a stage. My take is, like potty training, she'll figure it out eventually....my challenge is to remain calm & steady for her.

My physical pain ebbs and flows unpredictably as have my emotions. Sweetpea is the first to say, "Mama, don't cry, it's okay...just go take your medicine." While I am touched by her sympathy, I am concerned she's acting like a parent. I reassure her that I am "not feeling well" and soon I'll be back to my old self. This comforts her. Also, I try to warn her when I am in pain. When I feel good, I make an extra effort to engage her. My other tactic has been to follow our general routines. Mentally, I know they're too young to remember this experience well. I guess my fear was that we'd all find ourselves in a new pattern and then let that become normal. Thankfully, my husband is pretty grounded. He (plus the many dear friends who have "remembered me") are keeping me from straying too far.

Thanks for asking about my little ones. :)

2 comments:

Allison said...

Precious picture, Katherine! It was great to see you in Sunday School this morning. I am sorry I didn't get to talk to you! But, you look great and I hope and pray your pain lessens by the day.

Love,
Allison

Katherine (Kate) said...

Thank you for sharing that, Katherine, and it really is SUCH a beautiful picture!

I know how resilient children are, especially at a young age, but that doesn't make it easy while going through the process, does it? How precious that their individual personalities reach out to you in their own way :)

'Amen' to thankfulness for grounded husbands!