Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Brrr...

I've been surprised by just how sensitive my face is, to well, just about everything. So many friends have loved on my family with frozen meals that most nights, I'm pulling supper right out of the oven. It's a real treat, for sure! Strangely, that initial gust of hot air really stings my face. It's the same when I step outside into colder air. It's like someone turned on a giant internal vibration device on...any shift beyond about 10 degrees F feels really uncomfortable.


Sunday, I tried joining my little ones at the park. Weather was a cool, 50 degrees F. I lasted 3, maybe 4 minutes before jumping back into the car, turning up the heat, and placing the warm rice pack I'd brought along, on my cheeks. Husband-of-the-year took over thankfully.


Been reading about similar experiences on Archwired and Yahoo....


The best explanation I've found is this: the metal expands/contracts at a different rate than bone & tissue, therefore, the sudden shock of temperature change "feels" noticeably different. At this point, that difference registers as pain. Hopefully, once the nerves are back in place, the sensation will just be "different".


I guess it's good I'm here in Carolina. :)

2 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

I was going to mention the link about this on archwired, but you're all over it! Crazy how this works and will be interesting to see if it's something that becomes less sensitive as time goes by... or if it's something that you just get used to. I can't find much mention of this discomfort beyond the first year, so hoping it settles down as things continue to heal :)

Brenda said...

The sensation will go away with time, but not completely. I still battle with it 16 years post-op. But... I know that when I step outside into that cold weather I'm gonna feel it. Hot weather doesn't bother the screws anymore.

You look great, Katherine; hope the healing process is getting easier every day!