Thursday, July 10, 2008

back home

I had a grand time with my family. The children adore the water, my husband repaired a lovely old sailboat in time for our local regatta, and my brothers joked around just like the summers of our childhood. Marvelous memories all around. Here is a pic of some local sea island heirloom tomoatoes. Surprisingly, few others liked 'em, so I gobbled as many of them as I could. Another surprise was the evening my dear father listened intently as I explained why I was having jaw surgery. My family doesn't quite "get it", but I love that they're trying so hard. :)

As soon as I returned home, I began catching up on what everyone is doing. Hopefully, this weekend I can post some comments. This week is full of doctor's appointments, and a million calls to find childcare for each of the appts. Phew! Which reminds me of how much I need to begin planning for childcare help for the extended post-surgery recovery. My DH will take off 2 weeks, a real luxury, I know, but I sense I'll need help for a few weeks after that.


Wendesday, I had another excellent ortho appointment. I finally understand how to best work with the office staff. We took molds, which wasn't that bad, except when the lower mold refused to budge. ooooh, for a few minutes I swore my teeth were going to opo out! The tech was super sweet. Her goal was to have the molds come out so well that my oral sureon will not try to take molds next week during my pre-op visit. Next, my lower wires were changed from 62s to 60s, I think, and new power chains placed.

The ortho also crimped my wires in several places to work on those slow moving areas. One front tooth remains pulled in and the lower gaps are persitent. Ouch! It was uncomfortable at first, and within about 2 hours pretty painful. This morning, my mouth still aches intensely. I am actually kinda exicted, though, my teeth are finally moving again. :)

We discussed his concerns about surgery and my switch to a teaching hospital. This time he was positive. Good, I needed some encouragement. His additional advice struck me as Very Important.
  1. Ask for the smallest splint possible, this will protect my bite and reduce an open bite problem after surgery.
  2. When I asked about possible changes to my nose, he said be sure to ask for a VY closure or something, this helps keeps the tip of the nose from tipping up.
Gotta research these and work on my list of questions before next week's appt.

On a personal note, my emotions regarding surgey have been all over the place recently. One day I am fine, the next consumed with worry - about the surgeon, the swelling, you name it. Reading the great ortho blogs since we returned from vacation has really helped. And Archwired's forums are good, too. My dream? To be as carefree about surgery as my daughters were when this photo was taken .

No comments: