Monday, July 28, 2008

A postponement

All parties have decided to postpone my surgery until mid October. I have mixed feelings on this. A later date provides the persistent gaps time to be resolved, gives me additional time to arrange childcare & to plan out my liquid diet using the fabulous new blog, Jaw Dropping Blends. The delay also postpones my plans for another baby several more months. I so wanted to be pregnant by November/December. :(

There’s always a silver lining…and mine is that I can extend my time nursing sweet little Buttercup. She’s nursing about once per day, and now that we can nurse for another two months, I’m glad I didn’t rush her to wean in July as I had originally planned. Saturday, I chatted with a friend whose baby is due in October. She talked about her plans for the next 10 weeks, and I realized, jaw surgery was kind of like having a baby. You wait, and read, and wait some more, and dream, and wait, then ka-boom, you find yourself at 3:18 am wondering when life will “feel normal” again. Too bad those handy zip-n-squeeze bags can’t making infant cooing sounds.

The whole postponement situation got me thinking. Think of all the fun projects that can be completed in 10 weeks! I maxed out my library card with books on sewing pillows, slipcovers (why not try something really useful?), no-chew cookbooks, children’s crafts, and decorating ideas. I filled up two notebook pages with “to do” ideas!


3 comments:

stephanie said...

I really admire your positive outlook through this all. :) Even though you've been postponed, you look at the bright side!

Good luck!! :)

holski said...

I agree with Stephanie. You are being so patient. =) That will be a good quality for you to have post op! three cheers for patience.

Rachel said...

Katherine-
Thank you for your sweet comment on my page and for the mention of Jaw Dropping Blends! I have recently taken up quilting thanks to a little help from my mom. Having easy projects helps pass the time during recovery so its good that you're getting all your to do's written down. I'm glad you are keeping a positive outlook, it makes things so much better especially right before surgery and the weeks following. You had asked me what took the longest to get used to and its seeing myself in them mirror! Its so weird. I catch a glimpse every now and then and I think, who is that?! I love smiling without showing gums, I love the new length of my chin and the less harsh jaw line. The weight loss isn't a bad thing either. I think the diet was a little difficult at first, but I've gotten used to it and will be posting more on our site. I am so happy with the results and can't wait to see the finished product when every last bit of swelling is gone and I'm brace free. Best of luck with your preparations!