Friday, July 11, 2008

Sings of slow healing?

I am growing concerned that my body is a "slow healer". The morning after my molds were taken, so two days ago, these ugly blisters popped up and almost glued my lips shut. For two mornings now I have cautiously worked my lips apart, the blistering skins fall off, and they burn. Disgusting, no? Does anyone else suffer with these? I have NEVER had a fever blister. My theory is that my lips overstretched during the game of tug-o-war unsticking molds. The ortho tech said my lips have an unusually small opening/stretching ability...and I can't help but think this and my OB experiences are related. No stretch = big tear. Hmmm. I healed well after both of my deliveries but s-l-o-w-l-y, and only really got my energy back when I followed my midwife's advice for two weeks of bedrest.


When I saw these little blisters on my lips, I shuddered knowing that I will likely be a slow healer. Ahhh, I don't feel discouraged so much as I feel frustrated that my body won't do as I say. For now, I am checking my vitamins for proper dosages of C, B12, iron, and folate, eating as well as I can, and trying to stay rested.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I'll be keeping up with along the way! I hope that you feel totally comfortable with your surgeon. If you don't, you might want to keep looking around. My surgeon made a huge difference. I wasn't really nervous at all (well, a little bit)before since I had such confidence in him.

Katherine (Kate) said...

OUCH! That's insult on top of injury after everything, isn't it? Hope the blisters are healing up for you now. (I did chuckle -and grimace- at the 'no stretch = big tear' comparison...I can truly sympathise with you there ;) ).

Aside from your vitamin double checking and rest I don't really know what else to suggest. A pure vitamin E/Almond oil might feel nice topically (and almond smells delightful)

Take care :)