Thursday, July 17, 2008

$100 molds

Here is a quick update while I feed the children breakfast. Yesterday's appointment went very well and I feel good about the surgeons. The chief resident and the attending surgeon spent 3 HOURS with me. The two Drs. answered all my questions. Their plan:
  • impact my upper jaw, reducing my gummy smile by about 4mm.
  • based on how much this swings my lower forward, move my lower jaw forward with BSSO, for a total movement of 4-6 mm.
  • no decison yet on chin, waiting for final calculations from mold manipulations

Sadly, there was a mix up with the front desk and the big History & Physical + blood work appointment was postponed for another day.

It cost me about $100 in babysitting, plus gas and food, plus a day of my husband's sick leave to take the molds. Of course, finally feeling comfortable with the surgical team was "priceless"! :)

I smiled big when my husband looked at the chief resident, and said, "Well, Dr.C, I'm putting my wife in your hands."

The bigger surprise is the apparent confusion over who is determining that my teeth are ready. Ortho thinks the surgeon is pushing for late August, surgeon thinks the ortho is pushing for late August. It all started when I asked if we cold move forward in late summer and everyone said yes. Hmm. So hopefully, the two parties will sort this out soon. My teeth feel like they're still moving slightly, and while I was really, really looking forward to getting this all over with, I completely understand a little patience now will result in a much better result.

My little beauties are both running fevers today and are now wholly covered in yogurt and smooshed blueberries :) ...off to take care of them!

2 comments:

Dragon (Karen) said...

Fantastic that your appointment went well and helped you gain confidence in your team!

Hope your children are feeling loads better very soon.

Katherine (Kate) said...

Very encouraging to hear you're feeling more settled with your 'team', and the confirmation from your hubby. Always good when they spend lots of time with you too, so as not to feel part of an assembly line and pushed back out the door.

Have fun hosing the blueberries out of kids' hair (and hope they're feeling back to normal soon) :)