Sunday, January 18, 2009

disturbing the peace

Awake at 5:15, well, make that 6:20...oh, who forgot to set the alarm! Make coffee and feed the children while hubby showers. Is the bag packed? Good. No, you cannot eat a brownie for breakfast, even if they are GrandmaMac's yummy ones. Gulp a carnation breakfast shake, fuss with some makeup, turn down the heat while we're out. Everyone in the car...please...in the car...NOW. Thank you. Golly, it's cold this early. Honey, did you grab the girls' hair bows? No worries, I'll run in. Would you reopen the garage door please? Thanks. And we're off...

My family and I dashed down to Charleston this morning to celebrate the baptism of a special young boy. My youngest's godmother had asked my husband to be a godfather to her much-longer-for son. It was important occasion, and important we arrived for the service on time. The rhythm of the highway and light rain mellowed our young children into delightful traveling companions. One hundred miles later we arrived refreshed.

Quietly, I inhaled the surroundings. Old friends ,who never thought they'd marry, now sitting in pairs here and there. Childless couples, embracing new deliveries. Estranged families, now reconciled and singing together. It was quite a picture! I was happy to sit on the fringe, enjoying the service.

"...and just like the surgeons took a hammer and saw to my jaw a few years ago, and replaced it with a better one (and yes, this is the best they could do --laughter--), Jesus shatters our false suppositions with his sWORD, and replaces it with a true sense of peace..."
Jaw surgery in the sermon? Seriously! How often does that happen?
I perked up instantly. The pastor discussed a passage from Matthew 10:34-40. One point of the sermon was that God refines us through difficult circumstances, crushing our clouded, limited understanding of truth to lead us to Him. This idea totally reminded me of my first weeks after surgery. I was humbled by what my body wouldn't do, surprised by what it did. My comforts were completely disturbed.
I had peace prior to my surgery because "I" had done enough research, "I" had purchased supplies, etc. Post-operatively, I have a richer peace, in part because my peace was disturbed. I realized my dependency on someone other than myself.
Here is a picture of my husband holding his new godson...may baby Joe grow in wisdom and stature with God and man.
Cheers to sermons with surgery references. :)

4 comments:

mcgee33 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mcgee33 said...

What a delightful post! The picture of your children being mellowed by the drive and you all arriving refreshed, I was right there in the moment and then... JAW SURGERY!!?? Isn't our Father's perfect timing such a kiss, a reminder of His intimacy and love for us. He knew you'd be there today and you appreciated that message so much more than most. Thanks for sharing it. You are an excellent writer! I understand the 'I's' of preparation and the letting Him carry me through recovery. I can't wait to see what else God will show me during this time.

Katherine (Kate) said...

"Listening" to you describe the various fractions joined together for such a special moment...it really does paint quite a picture of hope, doesn't it? Seeing all the problems come together for just such a promise as the future for this little child? Beautiful.

Oh my goodness, did you totally want to rush the pastor and give him the hugeset hug?! Wow, that is a pretty special moment right there for you: your own promise to claim as your own~ Enjoy that gift, Katherine, and the joy of finding real comfort.

Cheers, indeed :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for writing this. I actually found your blog after looking at Smiling Bella's blog at a post - and update I made on her blog...in which I described the dysmorphic reaction I initially had after my jaw surgery. And of course, my transformation.

What you write here is exactly what I've been trying to explain to my friends about how impactful my transformation was - a change in how I looked was overshadowed by how the whole experience completely transformed the internal me. And it certainly made me realize the impact of others' prayers for me in my life. I so appreciate that you referred to your experience in church at this baptism - and of the message. I still struggle with what I went through. It is such a relief to read someone else write about their experience so that I can say - "yes - exactly!"

Thank you!