Tuesday, January 6, 2009

7 weeks post op - edited

Six weeks has been a grand milestone. I'm feeling more like myself each day. The daily progress remains slow, yet, when I reflect upon where I was a week past, I notice big improvements. Today, I had an adjustment at the OD. It went really well. Elastics have shifted my bite closer, we moved some brackets, and the OD even bonded a front tooth for nicer shaping. Midlines are mostly together. I love how my teeth are lining up in front, how my lips fall across my upper teeth, how wide and happy my smile is. The fullness in my cheeks and the little upturn in my nose are growing on me. By the summer, everything should settle into place.

I'm officially on soft chew foods! I've stopped shedding pounds so I must be eating enough. While I am thoroughly enjoying the new foods, chewing remains frustrating. My ROM is improving - my OD gave me some tongue depressors today to move it even further.

I've resumed my exercise routines. Surprisingly, I'm more into exercising than usual. So much of my recovery feels out of my control, but when I'm doing leg lunges to upbeat gym music, I'm in total control. (I am monitoring this so it doesn't get out of control (ah, puns!)) I'm now sleeping with just 1-2 pillows. My right jaw, the swollen side, is too tender to rest on but otherwise feels fine. Sleeping feels more comfortable in elastics. Feeling continues to come back in my lower lip and chin. Buzzing with occasional stabs of pain on the outside, insides are still numb. Kissing remains strange...think awkward teenage antics!

...some thoughts on the Body Image conversation...
My fuller cheeks remind me of an engagement photo from 2000, when I was 23 and wore a size 10. Marriage slimmed me down, unexpectedly, and over the last 8 years my face thinned as well. The second photo is me in December 2006, age 29, wearing a size 6 (and 5 months pregnant with #2). I think this is why when I see the fuller face, I feel heavier than I am. Just a hunch.

2 comments:

mcgee33 said...

You look wonderful! Could you still have some swelling in your cheeks. I can't see what you're talking about, but maybe your cheeks are still a little swollen? I'm glad you doing well. Thanks for the updates. I'm going in next Tuesday for my surgery! Only 6 days!!!!!!

Kam said...

You look so so great! I can't believe that's at 7 weeks.